Cities everywhere are jumping on the LED street light bandwagon and trading in their outdated fixtures for new & improved models. We’ve known for years that LEDs have many advantages over their incandescent counterparts, so why the sudden push to make the switch?
Why are Cities Getting Rid of Conventional Street Lights?
Take a look at some of the benefits LEDs offer over conventional High Pressure Sodium (HPS) street lights:
- LEDs are 10x more energy-efficient
- LEDs last 25x longer (less maintenance, reduced lamp toxins in landfills)
- LEDs offer advanced lighting controls (dim or power off when not in use)
- LEDs offer better visibility (less glare for drivers, better images for security cameras)
- LEDs reduce light pollution by not diffusing light in all directions