One of the nation’s largest mega retailers recently launched an initiative to show support and appreciation for our Veterans.
The campaign, called Greenlight a Vet™ invites Americans to do one simple thing — change one light bulb to green.
Key Information about the Greenlight a Vet™ Campaign
- The initiative asks that this Wednesday, November 11th (Veteran’s Day) you change one light in your home or office to green to show support for the men and women who have served and continue to serve our country.
- A central element of the campaign is raising awareness about the struggles that some veterans face after returning to civilian life.
- The color green was chosen because it represents hope and renewal. The term “greenlight” also indicates moving forward.
- You can share your support online with hashtag #greenlightavet.
Alternatives to the Green Light Bulb
Can’t find a green bulb? Try these alternatives:
- Dig into the holiday lights. Do any of your holiday ornaments use a green light? Steal the bulb! If you have green string lights, wrap them around your front porch rails, or bundle them in a clear glass vase or lantern and place it on the porch or in a window sill.
- White LED string lights or fairy lights will work with a glass jar or vase too. Just wrap green tissue paper or an old green t-shirt around the glass! (Thrift stores are notorious for carrying big green glass vases, left over from large flower arrangements.)
- I haven’t tried this one, but according to ehow, glass paint works on low-wattage bulbs.
For more information about this initiative, visit http://www.greenlightavet.com.
Top image source: greenlightavet.com